Homepage of Ioannis Krontiris
(last updated: September 2017)
I am currently working as a Privacy
Technologist at the European
Research Center of Huawei in Munich, Germany.
I hold a Ph.D. Degree in Computer Science
in Germany, and a M.Sc. Degree in Information Technology from Carnegie Mellon University
Some of my previous professional positions
My PhD research was focused on Security in Connected Smart Objects.
Since then I have broadened my research interests to include the
- Privacy Enhancing Technologies - Privacy by Design, Privacy
Engineering, Privacy Design Patterns
- Anonymization algorithms based on differential privacy for big
data - special focus on data mining algorithms (e.g. classification)
- Privacy in Internet of Things - Smart Environments,
Sensing, User-centric Architectures
- Usable Privacy - User acceptance of PETs
- Privacy-respecting Identity Management - Identity and Trust
in the Information Society
I have been involved in the following EU research projects:
Selected Recent Publications (Full list
- Ioannis Krontiris, Ahmad Sabouri, Kai Rannenberg, Zinaida Benenson, Anna Girard and Peter Schoo, "Privacy-ABCs
as a Case for Studying the Adoption of PETs by Users and Service
Providers", the Annual Privacy Forum 2015, 7-8 October 2015, Luxembourg.
- T. Dimitriou, I. Krontiris, "Privacy-respecting Auctions as Incentive
Mechanisms in Mobile Crowd Sensing", the 9th WISTP International
Conference on Information Security Theory and Practice (WISTP 2015),
24-25 August 2015, Heraklion, Crete, Greece (to appear).
- Z. Benenson, A. Girard, I. Krontiris, "User acceptance factors for
credentials: An empirical investigation", In Workshop on the Economics
Security (WEIS), 22-23 June 2015.
- I. Krontiris, T. Dimitriou, "A
Privacy Protection of
Data Requesters and Data Providers in Mobile Sensing",
Communications 65 (2015), pp. 43-54.
- I. Krontiris, M. Langheinrich, and K. Shilton, "Trust
in Mobile Experience Sharing - Future Challenges and Avenues for
Research," IEEE Communication Magazine, August 2014.
- Patrik Bichsel, Jan Camenisch, Maria Dubovitskaya, Robert
Stephan Krenn, Ioannis Krontiris, Anja Lehmann, Gregory Neven, Janus
Dam Nielsen, Christian Paquin, Franz-Stefan Preiss, Kai Rannenberg,
Ahmad Sabouri, Michael Stausholm, "D2.2 Architecture for
Attribute-based Credential Technologies - Final Version,"
Deliverable D2.2, August 2014.
- S. Fischer-Hübner, C. Hoofnagle, I. Krontiris, K.
Waidner, and C. Bowden, "Online Privacy: Towards Informational
Self-Determination on the Internet," in Digital Enlightenment
IOS Press, 2013.
Professional Activities (Full list here)
of IFIP WG 11.2
Systems Security (November 2012 - June 2014).
of ENISA Experts Group in "Internet of Things, Ubiquitous environments"
and "Electronic identity" (since May 2013).
of the experts' panel at the EU Commission's Stakeholder Group on the
implementation of a "Regulation
on electronic identification and trust services", Brussels,
Expert - First
plenary meeting of the Public-Private Platform on Network and
Information Security (NIS
European Commission, Brussels, 17 June 2013.
Force 3 "Big Data and Data Minimization" of the "IDENTITY |
the Tower" initiative (June 2013).
of the Editorial Board, Journal of
- Dagstuhl Seminar
13312: "My Life, Shared - Trust and Privacy in the Age of
Ubiquitous Experience Sharing", 28 Jul. - 02 Aug. 2013.
- Dagstuhl Perspectives Workshop 11061: Online
Privacy: Towards Informational Self-Determination on the Internet,
6-11 February, 2011.
of the Expert Panel - EU
Project TAS3 (Trusted Architecture for
Securely Shared Services), 17-18 November 2011, Nice, France.
Expert - Stakeholder Workshop on "Digital Agenda for Europe: Electronic
identification, authentication and signatures in the digital single
market", 25 September 2013, 10 March 2011 and 3 October 2011.
Program Committee Member (Full
- The IEEE ICC 2018 Communication and Information Systems Security Symposium(ICC'18 CISS), Kansas City, 20 May - 24 May 2018
- The 1st International Workshop on Big Geo Data Quality and Privacy (BIGQP 2017) March 21, 2017 – Venice, Italy
- IEEE ICC 2017 Communication and Information Systems Security Symposium (ICC'17 CISS), 21-25 May 2017, Paris, France
- The 11th International
Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS 2015),
Fortaleza, CE, Brazil, 10-12 June 2015.
- The 2015 IEEE Global
2015), 6-10 December 2015, San Diego, CA, USA.
- The IEEE International
Communications and Information Systems Security Symposium, London, UK,
8-12 June 2015.
- The 9th
International IFIP Summer School on Privacy and Identity
for the Future Internet in the Age of Globalisation, 7-12 September,
2014, Patras, Greece.
- The 29th IFIP TC-11 SEC 2014
Information Security and Privacy Conference, Marrakech, Morocco, 2-4
- The 8th IFIP Workshop in
Security Theory and Practice (WISTP
- Securing Internet of Things, Heraklion, Greece, June 23-25, 2014.
Annual Privacy Forum 2014 - Closing the loop from research to
policy, Athens, 20-21 May 2014.
- The 11th Smart Card
Advanced Application Conference (CARDIS
Graz, Austria, 28-30 November 2012.
- The 9th IEEE International
Mobile Ad-hoc and Sensor Systems (IEEE MASS
Las Vegas, Nevada, US, October 2012.
Talks and Panels
- Panel Presentation, "Technologies for sharing life experiences on the
go", ICT 2015, Lisbon, 21 October 2015.
- Panel Presentation, "Internet of Things, Data Protection
Security; What are the Legal Challenges and How to Overcome Them?," IAPP
Europe Data Protection Congress 2014, Brussels, 18-20
- Invited Presentation, "Trust and Privacy in Mobile
Sharing - Future Challenges and Avenues for Research", National
Institute of Informatics (NII), 9 June 2014, Tokyo, Japan.
- Panel Presentation, "Trustworthy Infrastructure for
Enlightenment Forum 2013, 18-20 September 2013,
- Presentation, "The ABC4Trust Architecture - Making
Deployable and Interoperable", Cyber
Security and Privacy EU Forum
2013, Brussels 18-19 April 2013.
- Panel Presentation, "Trust Frameworks: Are We Being
By The 3-Party Model?", RSA
Conference 2013, February 25 - March 1, San
- Panel Presentation on EU Digital Agenda (GINI-SA
Roundtable), iSSE 2012,
23-24 October 2012, Brussels.
- Presentation, "Privacy and Trust in Participatory Sensing",
WG 11.2 : Seminar 2012, July 4th, 2012, Nijmegen, The
- Presentation, "Attribute-based credentials for social
and qualified feedback. ABC4 Trust - concepts and trials", 2012
Academic Days Conference, 14-15 May, Frankfurt.
- Presentation, "My Life, Shared - Privacy and Trust in
Participatory Sensing", Informatik Research Seminar, Darmstadt
University, 11 May 2012, Darmstadt, Germany.
- Panel Presentation "What ABC4Trust can do for Privacy in
Identity & Cloud Conference (EIC 2012), 17-20 April
- Keynote Speaker on "Minimal disclosure and anonymous
ENISA Summer School on Network & Information
Security, 27 June - 1 July 2011, Crete, Greece.
- Panel Presentation on ABC4Trust Architecture, Digital
Enlightenment Forum on The Future of European Electronic Identity
Management, 31 October 2011, Paris, France.
- Panel Presentation on Human oriented approaches to
privacy and trust, BIC Annual Forum - Building International
Cooperation for Trustworthy ICT, 29 November 2011, Brussels, Belgium.
- Presentation, "Participatory Sensing: New Opportunities and
Privacy Challenges", Practical Aspects of Security (PRACSE 2010), 14-15
October 2010, Athens, Greece.